The Other Fifteen

Eighty-five percent of the f---in' world is working. The other fifteen come out here.


Friday News Briefs

Oh such news! Oh such news do I have! Oh how wonderful it is to have news.

Zambrano will start opening day after all.

Handicapping the closer's spot is apparently not the easiest task in the world. Bruce Miles says Howry is the frontrunner; Paul Sullivan says it's Wood's job to lose.

Henry Blanco says he's healthy, and ready to help Soto however he can.

Bruce Miles seems to enjoy the company of Japanese reporters more than I ever did. I will say this: all of the Japanese reporters I ever encountered were nothing but polite. But the stage is being set for the big arrival of Fukudome.

Jason Marquis expects to stay in the starting rotation, in the face of some evidence to the contrary:

''Until I'm told otherwise, I'm going to take the approach that I'm a starter,'' said Marquis, whose status was called into doubt again Thursday by manager Lou Piniella, who has suggested there are four or five candidates for two starting jobs after Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly and Rich Hill.

''I haven't been told from an organizational standpoint that I'm one of those five [starters],'' added Marquis, whose poor finish in September cost him a spot in the playoff rotation and raised the issue over the winter, with his name showing up in trade rumors.

Felix Pie is also ready to go. P-Sully says the job is his to lose.

Nobody in camp seems too bothered by Ramirez's offseason activities. [The local commentariat is another story.]

There's a video of Jeff Samardzija talking about the Rookie Career Development Program. Apparently they teach you to constantly say mm-hmm when a reporter is asking a question. Lou says Shark could be ready this summer.

AZ Phil, as always, has as much detail as you could want.

And CubsAZ.com has another awesome photo gall...

predator010

OH MY FLAMING CRAP AN INFIELD PREDATOR!

I recycled an animal. I know. It's late. I'm going to bed.

Labels: , , ,

2 Responses to “Friday News Briefs”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Jason expects to remain a SP. He should expect to. I expect him to remain a SP -- just not in the Cubs' rotation.  

  2. # Blogger Unknown

    You know what would be awesome? Soto and Fukudome battling it out for rookie of the year. Pretty sure I'd be stoked about that.  

Post a Comment